You must be logged in to use the full functionality of this site. If you already have an account, please Log In. Otherwise, Register for a new account.

Poll: Please Vote for One of EACH COLOR...
1.) Count me in for this trip!
1.) I'd like to go but can't commit yet.
1.) I can't make this trip.
2.) I'm looking to share a room.
2.) I'm all set with my room (or not going).
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Triple Nickel II: 2015 Edition
Last year we did an amazing trip down to SE Ohio/WV and we will be heading down again this year. IT'S ABOUT TO GET UNDERWAY, starting this Friday (5/22) and returning home on Monday (5/25). See all the details below!

[Image: 2_14_01_15_9_26_38.jpeg]

Departure Itinerary
Collapsed Item(s)...

• 7:30 AM - Link-up at Tim Hortons on Ford Road just west of I-275 in Canton

Tim Hortons - [Image: external.png]( map link )
    41276 Ford Rd (just west of I-275)
    Canton, MI 48187
    (734) 981-5236
    . . . . .
  • 8:00 AM - Kickstands-up and ride southwards towards Marietta, OH

Total 310 Miles, 5 Hrs 45 Minutes, 2 or 3 Stops, Including a Lunch Break

Canton, MI, to Mount Vernon, OH: 190 Miles
    . . . . .
  • 12:15 PM (Appx) - 1.5 Hrs Lunch Break at the Parkside Restaurant & Tavern in Mount Vernon, Ohio

The Parkside Restaurant & Tavern - [Image: external.png]( map link )
    108 Mt Vernon Ave
    Mt Vernon, OH 43050
    . . . . .
  • 1:45 PM (Appx) - Kickstands-up and ride towards the hotel following the 1.5 hrs lunch break in Mount Vernon.
    . . . . .
    Mount Vernon to Marietta: 120 Miles, 3 Hrs 15 Minutes
    . . . . .
  • 4:00 PM (Appx.) - Arrival at the Quality Inn - Marietta, Ohio

Quality Inn - Marietta
    700 Pike Street [Image: external.png]( map link )
    Marietta, OH 45750
    740-374-8190

Departure Route
Collapsed Item(s)...

Hotel Reservation Update
Collapsed Item(s)...
Tanker was able to coordinate for discount room rates at the same hotel as last year: Quality Inn - Marietta. The discounted room rate is $84.99 + APPLICABLE TAXES per night. NOTE: Normally, there's an additional $10.00 fee if two people share a room. THAT ADDITIONAL DOUBLE OCCUPANCY CHARGE IS DELETED for our group. Specifically, if two people share a room, per night, the charge per person, would be $84.99 + APPLICABLE TAXES divided by two. If you have AAA you can save an additional $5 also.

There's a great breakfast each morning, plus a pool (don't forget your swim trunks), plus a 10% discount for the in-house restaurant for lunch and dinner.

There are ten (10) rooms blocked-off at that discounted rate under the group name GREAT LAKES ROAD RIDERS. So, when you call the Quality Inn - Marietta to take one of those ten (10) blocked-off, discounted rooms, YOU MUST IDENTIFY YOURSELF AS A MEMBER OF THE GREAT LAKES ROAD RIDERS and specifically ask for one of those ten (10) blocked-off, discounted rooms. If you're participating in the full trip, you will want to reserve a room for 5/22, 5/23, and 5/24.

If it turns out that all ten (10) blocked-off, discounted rooms all become reserved, and more blocked-off, discounted rooms are required, please let Tanker know as soon as possible, so that Tanker can add more rooms to the blocked-off, discounted rate.

Those ten (10) blocked-off, discounted rooms will EXPIRE on Sunday May 10, 2015. So you must call the Quality Inn - Marietta PRIOR TO Sunday May 10, 2015, in order to take advantage of one of those blocked-off, discounted rooms.

LOOKING TO SHARE A ROOM? See this thread for its own topic.

Quality Inn - Marietta
700 Pike Street [Image: external.png]( map )
Marietta, OH 45750
740-374-8190

[Image: Logo-qualityinn.gif]

[Image: OH461A1.JPG]

Weather Forecast for Marietta, Ohio: [Image: external.png] ( link )
I'm interested, and am looking forward to getting out on the road. Here is the short video of last years ride.

We need some maps on this thread. Would someone like to do a little investigating on routes different from last year. Of course the ride out and back may be the same, but up in the mountains could be different, maybe...
Live for today, and experience all life has to offer.Big Shiny Grin
[Image: thumb_28_12_06_13_8_31_24.jpeg]
I have been looking at roads in SE Ohio. Are there any bad ones? They all look great. When do we publish dates and motel information? I know I am jumping the gun. It is only January, but the riding fever is already upon me.
(01-25-2015, 01:07 PM)2Ring Wrote: I have been looking at roads in SE Ohio. Are there any bad ones? They all look great. When do we publish dates and motel information? I know I am jumping the gun. It is only January, but the riding fever is already upon me.

The dates are in the first post of this thread, and the location might just be the same motel as we stayed at last year. I can't remember the name, but it is somewhere here on the forum. I'm looking forward to this ride too. Someone needs to start to figure out what roads we took last year, and see if they can come up with some others. Perhaps along the ridge, or top of the mountains vs. the valleys as we did last year. Although with that said, I wouldn't mind taking some of the roads that we took last year. It's all good....Big Grin
Quality Inn - Marietta
700 Pike Street
Marietta, OH 45750
740-374-8190

Last years price was $84.99/night
-2005 Honda VTX 1300R "Blackie" Cool
Once we get to around early April, I'll contact Quality Inn - Marietta for group discount rates again.
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
[Image: 2_03_08_16_7_59_27.jpeg]
I saw a Microtel Inn and Suites for $74.00 a night with great reviews on Expedia.
2015 Honda Goldwing
Would love to do one of these, but not on a holiday weekend. Too many inattentive drivers pulling god know what. I stay off the roads on holidays. If you ever have one on a normal weekend count me in.
(01-27-2015, 10:48 PM)MichWing Wrote: Would love to do one of these, but not on a holiday weekend. Too many inattentive drivers pulling god know what. I stay off the roads on holidays. If you ever have one on a normal weekend count me in.

How about the Americade trip? That is not on a holiday weekend.Big Shiny Grin
(01-28-2015, 08:50 AM)Rickie Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 10:48 PM)MichWing Wrote: Would love to do one of these, but not on a holiday weekend. Too many inattentive drivers pulling god know what. I stay off the roads on holidays. If you ever have one on a normal weekend count me in.

How about the Americade trip? That is not on a holiday weekend.Big Shiny Grin

Attended Americade last year, looking for something different this year.
(01-27-2015, 09:04 PM)BobVTX Wrote: I saw a Microtel Inn and Suites for $74.00 a night with great reviews on Expedia.

BobVTX, do you have the address and phone number to that Microtel Inn and Suites? I'll check 'em out and post what I find.

Thanks, Bob.
Smokey & I are looking forward to this years ride.Biker
I invited a friend from Indiana to join us.
That Microtel Inn might be the same one we stayed at when we went 3 or 4 years ago. It was a nice place to stay.
LETS RIDE!!!!!! Cool

Beetle
[Image: 9_29_07_12_9_44_27.jpeg]
(01-28-2015, 11:39 AM)Tanker Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 09:04 PM)BobVTX Wrote: I saw a Microtel Inn and Suites for $74.00 a night with great reviews on Expedia.

BobVTX, do you have the address and phone number to that Microtel Inn and Suites? I'll check 'em out and post what I find.

Thanks, Bob.

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marietta‎
506 Pike Street
Marietta, Ohio 45750
(740) 373-7373

Avg Nightly Rate 73.95 USD
2 Nights(1 Room) 147.90 USD
Tax 19.60 USD
Total Cost* 167.50 USD
[Image: 270_21_02_15_3_00_45.jpeg]

Last October on my way to NY, just east of Newark, Ohio, I rode past the Longaberger Basket Building. It is a 7 story building shaped like a picnic basket. I thought I was seeing things until I got close enough to realize that it was actually a building.

I have downloaded an image to our image library and I am not having any luck getting it into this post. But, it looks like you can open the image by clicking on the link that went into the post.

That aside, I think it might be a neat photo op on the way down to the Triple Nickel ride.

2Ring
(02-21-2015, 06:28 PM)2Ring Wrote: [Image: 270_21_02_15_3_00_45.jpeg]

Last October on my way to NY, just east of Newark, Ohio, I rode past the Longaberger Basket Building. It is a 7 story building shaped like a picnic basket. I thought I was seeing things until I got close enough to realize that it was actually a building.

I have downloaded an image to our image library and I am not having any luck getting it into this post. But, it looks like you can open the image by clicking on the link that went into the post.

That aside, I think it might be a neat photo op on the way down to the Triple Nickel ride.

2Ring

That is a wild looking building. I saw it too, and couldn't believe that someone would be actually build something like that.
(02-22-2015, 04:03 PM)Rickie Wrote:
(02-21-2015, 06:28 PM)2Ring Wrote: [Image: 270_21_02_15_3_00_45.jpeg]

2Ring

That is a wild looking building. I saw it too, and couldn't believe that someone would be actually build something like that.

I want to say I've seen this too, is this visible from the freeway?
I did see it from the freeway. I did not get off to get a picture.
Ready, Steady, Go!
by Paul Oakenfold

That song was featured on the 2002 movie entitled, Bourne Identity, with Matt Damon, as well as the 2004 movie entitlled, Collateral, with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx.

I hope I can remember to put that song on my iPod in time for the Triple Nickel II 2015 Ride. I think it'd be a blast carving up the curves while jamming to that adrenaline-pumping tune.

I really miss doing some extended floorboard scrapeage. There are times that I really wish I didn't install the Kuryakyn Ergo engine guards. Ever since I install those engine guards, I've never been able to attain maximum floorboard scrapeage and curve lean-angle like I used to without my engine guards inadvertantly - and very dangerously - making hard contact with the roadway surface. Bummer.
I'm pretty sure we rode past that building on our Triple Nickel ride last year.
2015 Honda Goldwing