You must be logged in to use the full functionality of this site. If you already have an account, please Log In. Otherwise, Register for a new account.

Poll: Would you be interested in joining a Triple Nickel Ride this year during one of the proposed dates below?
Friday, Sept. 1 - Monday, Sept. 4
Thursday, Sept. 7 - Sunday, Sept. 10
Saturday, Sept. 16 - Tuesday, Sept. 19
I will not be able to join a trip on any of these dates.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Rescheduled 2017 Triple Nickel Ride
And the winner is....... Sept. 1 - Sept. 4 (Labor Day Weekend) 

Well, the results are unanimous.  The people have spoken and the rescheduled 2017 Triple Nickel Ride will take place Sept. 1 - Sept. 4.

While I am still waiting for Michele to verify that she can get Sept. 1 off, I feel that we need to begin the preparations for this trip.  The chosen hotel for this venture will be the one we have stayed at previously, see info below.

Quality Inn Event and Conference Center
         700 Pike St., Marietta, OH  45750
         (740) 374-8190

Rooms can be reserved for $66.90 (including taxes and fees) per night for a TOTAL of $200.70 for the three nights at expedia.com.  I suggest that anyone planning on participating in this trip reserve your room ASAP to ensure availability.

As of Wednesday, August 16, rooms have been reserved by:
    Beetle & Michele
    Fletch & Smokey
    Tanker & Eve
    MichWing
    G Money
    Rickie (& Brenda ?)
    EJBach
    FeTT-X

Rescheduled 2017 Triple Nickel Ride
Friday September 1st through Monday September 4th - Labor Day Weekend

Updated by Tanker on July 19, 2017.

[Image: 73_19_07_17_6_24_24.jpeg]

Hotel Information
To view the hotel information, click on the Show button.
Collapsed Item(s)...

Hotes.com [Image: external.png]( link ) has great room rates for the Quality Inn - Marietta.  Please reserve your hotel room via Hotels.com as soon as possible.

Quality Inn - Marietta
700 Pike Street [Image: external.png]( map )
Marietta, OH 45750
740-374-8190

[Image: Logo-qualityinn.gif]

[Image: OH461A1.JPG]

Day 1 - Departure Itinerary - Friday September 1st
To view the Day 1 Departure Itinerary information, click on the Show button.
Collapsed Item(s)...

Important Note:
For the departure ride, a fast departure ride group, a slow departure ride group, or independent departure rides, are planned and are absolutely ok.  The following departure itinerary is for the fast departure ride group, which Beetle is willing to lead.  We need a volunteer to lead the slow departure ride group.

Riders are encouraged to take whatever departure ride route they so choose to ride.  Following Beetle's departure route or the fast group departure ride is not a requirement, and is not an expectation.

Please review and assess the Departure Route section of this ride information to thoroughly assess specific route, specific travel distance, and specific travel time.  You will need to pad the departure ride travel time with applicable lunch stops, gas stops, and rest stops.
[/b]
  • 7:30 AM - Link-up at Tim Hortons on Ford Road just west of I-275 in Canton

Tim Hortons - [Image: external.png]( map link )
    41276 Ford Rd (just west of I-275)
    Canton, MI 48187
    (734) 981-5236
    . . . . .
  • 8:00 AM - Kickstands-up and ride southwards towards Marietta, OH
    . . . . .
    Canton, MI, to Mount Vernon, OH:  180 Miles, 3 Hrs 50 Minutes; includes 1 15-minute gas and rest stop at the 100-mile point
    . . . . .
  • 12:00 PM (Appx) - 1.5 Hrs Lunch Break at the Parkside Restaurant & Tavern in Mount Vernon, Ohio
    . . . . .
    The Parkside Restaurant & Tavern - [Image: external.png]( map link )
    108 Mt Vernon Ave
    Mt Vernon, OH 43050
    . . . . .
  • 1:30 PM (Appx) - Kickstands-up and ride towards the hotel following the 1.5 hrs lunch break in Mount Vernon.
    . . . . .
    Mount Vernon to Marietta:  117 Miles, 3 Hrs 15 Minutes; includes 1 15-minute gas and rest stop at the 100-mile point
    . . . . .
  • 5:00 PM (Appx.) - Arrival at the Quality Inn - Marietta, Ohio
    . . . . .
    Quality Inn - Marietta
    700 Pike Street [Image: external.png]( map link )
    Marietta, OH 45750
    740-374-8190

Day 1 - Departure Route - Friday September 1st
To view the Day 1 Departure Route Information, click on the Show button.
Collapsed Item(s)...

Please review and assess this section of this ride information to thoroughly review specific route, specific travel distance, and specific travel time.  You will need to pad the departure ride travel time with applicable lunch stops, gas stops, and rest stops.  Tanker is willing to lead the fast group departure ride.  A volunteer is needed for the slow group departure ride.  Independent departure rides are ok, too.

Riders are encouraged to take whatever departure ride route they so choose.  Following Tanker's departure route or Tanker's fast group departure ride is not a requirement, and is not an expectation.
  • Tim Hortons in Canton to I-280 in Toledo, Ohio.
    . . . . .

To view a larger, interactive map from Tim Hortons in Canton, MI, to I-280 in Toledo, OH, click here:  [Image: external.png]( Map )
  • I-275 south
  • I-75 south
  • I-280 southeast

I-280 in Toledo, OH, south to Mount Vernon, OH, for lunch at The Parkside Restaurant & Tavern.
    . . . . .

To view a larger, interactive map from I-280 in Toledo, OH, to Mount Vernon, OH, for lunch at The Parkside Restaurant and Tavern, click here:  [Image: external.png]( Map )
    . . . . .
  • I-280 south
  • Front Street southwest
  • E. Broadway Street south
  • US-23 southeast
  • US-20 southeast
  • OH-19 south
  • US-224 east
  • OH-4 southwest
  • County-35 southeast
  • OH-602 south
  • OH-598 east
  • OH-314 south
  • County-22 southeast
  • County-6 southeast
  • OH-13 south
  • Lunch at The Parkside Restaurant & Tavern in Mount Vernon, OH

The Parkside Restaurant & Tavern in Mount Vernon, OH, to the Quality Inn - Marietta.
    . . . . .

To view a larger, interactive map from The Parkside Restaurant and Tavern in Mount Vernon, OH, to the Quality Inn - Marietta, click here:  [Image: external.png]( Map )
    . . . . .
    While the ride distance from Mount Vernon to Marietta is not far due to back roads, very-slow-go twisties, and some sharp switchback curves, Tanker plans to stop roughly every hour to an hour-and-a-half for a rest stops /ass-breaks.  Pad the travel time from Mount Vernon to Marietta accordingly.
    . . .
  • OH-586 southeast
  • OH-146 southeast
  • OH-60 south towards Zanesville, OH
  • OH-555 briefly west, then south - Ohio Route 555 is the namesake for this Triple Nickel Ride, and this is where the fun begins!
  • OH-676 east - Ohio Route 676 is even more fun to ride than the Ohio Route 555!
  • Gilman Avenue southeast
  • Putnam Bridge east
  • Front Street southeast
  • Greene Street / Ohio River Scenic Byway northeast
  • OH-7 / Pike Street southeast to the Quality Inn - Marietta Hotel

Day 2 - Seneca Caverns Destination Ride - Saturday September 2nd
To view the Day 2 Seneca Caverns Destination Ride information, click on the Show button.
Collapsed Item(s)...

Kickstands-up at 8 AM sharp.  Please gas-up prior to the 8 AM kickstands-up time.

[Image: lantern-press-seneca-caverns-riverton-west-virginia.jpg]

For a larger, interactive map from the Quality Inn Hotel in Marietta, Ohio, to the Seneca Caverns in Riverton, West Virginia, click here:  [Image: external.png]( Map Link ).

Seneca Caverns
3328 Germany Valley Rd  [Image: external.png]( Map Link )  |  [Image: external.png]( Website )
Riverton, WV 26814
(304) 567-2691

Fast Group and Slow Group for Day 2 and Day 3

We understand that there may be some among this group ride that may want to ride this group ride fast, especially on Saturday and Sunday, Day 2 and Day 3.  So, for both of those ride days, we will establish a fast ride group and a slow ride group.  The slow ride group will only travel roughly no more than 5 MPH over the posted speed limit, or possibly slower during applicable hillies and twisties.  Tanker will lead the slow group for both ride days.  We need a volunteer to lead the fast ride group.  The ride routes for both of those days are posted on the very first post of this group ride discussion thread.

Are there any volunteers to lead the fast ride group for both of those ride days?

Day 3 - Ohio Routes 676 and 555 Ride - Sunday September 3rd
To view the Day 2 Seneca Caverns Destination Ride information, click on the Show button.
Collapsed Item(s)...

Kickstands-up at 8 AM sharp.  Please gas-up prior to the 8 AM kickstands-up time.

No Specific Destination, Just Lots of Twisties and Hillies

This ride includes Ohio Route 676 riding west out of Marietta, then includes Ohio Route 555, the Triple Nickel and namesake for this ride, from Coal Run north to Roseville.  From there, the route loops back counter-clockwise towards Corning, Athens, and then on back towards Marietta.  Lots and lots of twisties and hillies.

To view a larger, interactive map with ride route through lots and lots of twisties and hillies, click here:  [Image: external.png]( Map Link ).

We're thinking of adding Ohio Route 26 and Ohio Route 260 to this inon-destination ride day route.  Those two additional routes are just northeast of Marietta.  However, we have to keep an eye on the total ride time, including gas and rest stops, and a lunch stop as well.

Fast Group and Slow Group for Day 2 and Day 3

We understand that there may be some among this group ride that may want to ride this group ride fast, especially on Saturday and Sunday, Day 2 and Day 3.  So, for both of those ride days, we will establish a fast ride group and a slow ride group.  The slow ride group will only travel roughly no more than 5 MPH over the posted speed limit, or possibly slower during applicable hillies and twisties.  Tanker will lead the slow group for both ride days.  We need a volunteer to lead the fast ride group.  The ride routes for both of those days are posted on the very first post of this group ride discussion thread.

Are there any volunteers to lead the fast ride group for both of those ride days?

Day 4 - Return Route - Monday September 4th
To view the Day 4 Return Route information, click on the Show button.
Collapsed Item(s)...
[/b]
    Please review and assess this section of this ride information to thoroughly review specific route, specific travel distance, and specific travel time.  You will need to pad the return ride travel time with applicable lunch stop, gas stops, and rest stops.  Beetle is willing to lead the fast group return ride.  A volunteer is needed for the slow group return ride.  Independent return rides are ok, too.Marietta, Ohio, to Michigan, specifically I-75 and I-275 vicinity Monroe, Michigan.  I will ride I-77 north to US-250 northwest, to US-20 northwest, to I-280 northwest, to I-75 north, to home.  Ride participants are encouraged to take any homeward route they so choose to ride.  Following my fast group return ride is not a requirement, and is not an expectation.. . .To view a larger, interactive map from Marietta, OH, Michigan I-75 and I-275 vicinity Newport, Michigan, click here:  ( Map ). . .
  • Kickstands-up at 8 AM sharp.  Please gas-up prior to the 8 AM kickstands-up time.
    . . .
  • A volunteer is needed for the slow group return ride.
    . . .
  • Once in Michigan vicinity I-75, we'll begin to break-off and head our own ways home.

Previous Triple Nickel Ride Videos
To view previous Triple Nickel Ride videos, click on the Show button.
Collapsed Item(s)...

2014 Triple Nickel Ride

2015 Triple Nickel Ride

2016 Triple Nickel Ride

Weather Forecast
To view the weather forecast information, click on the Show button.
Collapsed Item(s)...
[Image: GRR_loop.gif]
Michigan Weather Map

[Image: PBZ_loop.gif]
Southeast Ohio / West Virginia Weather Map

The two weather radar map images shown above are periodically updating weather radar images[/b]
  • 10-day weather forecast for Canton, Michigan:  [Image: external.png]( link )
    . . .
  • 10-day weather forecast for Marietta, Ohio:  [Image: external.png]( link )

Please vote in the group ride participation poll shown at the top of this page.
The Labor Day weekend works the best for me, but the 16-19 is a possibility if that is the dates that are chosen.

Ron
I voted for Labor Day weekend, as it is the only weekend I have available in September, but I am NOT interested in organizing this event.
Live for today, and experience all life has to offer.Big Shiny Grin
[Image: thumb_28_12_06_13_8_31_24.jpeg]
I voted for Labor Day Weekend. I might be able to lead it, but it is too early to know that yet.
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
[Image: 2_03_08_16_7_59_27.jpeg]
Can also do Labor Day weekend.  But I have never leaded any group ride. To new at this yet plus can't see anyone following me in a ditch to help move some more leaves... Ha ha...   Jawdrop
[Image: 73_23_06_14_12_49_27.jpeg]
I went to Hotels.com and found rooms for 9/1/17 - 9/4/17 at the "Quality Inn" 700 Pike St. Marietta Oh. (this is our usual hotel)

1 King or 2 Double beds, 2 people -- $56 non refundable
                                                     $59 pay at hotel / cancel until 9/1/17
I have canceled my standing plans for the Labor Day Weekend so we can plan on attending the ride as it looks like that is the most popular time for everyone. The remaining hurdle I have is Michele getting Friday the 1st off and she won't know that for a few more weeks. I can help with the pre-trip planning, i.e. hotel arrangements, cavern visit, daily rides, etc. (Tanker already did that legwork back before Memorial Day) but if we cannot make the trip at the last minute due to her work schedule, is someone willing to pick up the reins and lead the way?
LETS RIDE!!!!!! Cool

Beetle
[Image: 9_29_07_12_9_44_27.jpeg]
(07-10-2017, 11:01 PM)Beetle Wrote: I have canceled my standing plans for the Labor Day Weekend so we can plan on attending the ride as it looks like that is the most popular time for everyone.  The remaining hurdle I have is Michele getting Friday the 1st off and she won't know that for a few more weeks.  I can help with the pre-trip planning, i.e. hotel arrangements, cavern visit, daily rides, etc. (Tanker already did that legwork back before Memorial Day) but if we cannot make the trip at the last minute due to her work schedule, is someone willing to pick up the reins and lead the way?

Biker  
      Good to hear that you and Michele are trying hard to make the Triple Nickel ride.....
(07-10-2017, 03:07 PM)Fletch Wrote: I went to Hotels.com and found rooms for 9/1/17 - 9/4/17 at the "Quality Inn" 700 Pike St. Marietta Oh. (this is our usual hotel)

1 King or 2 Double beds, 2 people -- $56 non refundable
                                                     $59 pay at hotel / cancel until 9/1/17

Yeah Fletch, I found the same thing on expedia.com.  I called the hotel this afternoon to speak to the manager to see if I can get a block of rooms at a better price but she was not in.  I will call back tomorrow morning and speak with her.
Since the site claims that there are a limited number of rooms remaining, I am thinking that it may be wise for us to book our rooms now at this price and hope we can have the rate adjusted if we can in fact get better pricing.  Since this price is already pretty low, I would be surprised if they offer us any kind of deal, but it is always worth a try.  I am definitely going to pay the extra $3 for the ability to cancel if need be.  (Remembering Memorial Day)      Undecided
LETS RIDE!!!!!! Cool

Beetle
My room is booked though the hotel web site at a refundable rate of $59 a night plus tax and fees for a three day total of $200.68.  1 King, no smoking. Biker

Now lets hope the person that scammed my credit card twice in the last two years is not working there any longer. I don't have an iTunes account, but someone there liked my card to pay for them. Annoyed

Ron
Mine is booked as well!
LETS RIDE!!!!!! Cool

Beetle
Booked  Cool

Booked! But still not sure yet if Eve and I will actually be able to do the 2017 Triple Nickel Ride Re-Do.
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
[Image: 2_03_08_16_7_59_27.jpeg]
Video 
(07-12-2017, 01:32 PM)Tanker Wrote:

Booked!  But still not sure yet if Eve and I will actually be able to do the 2017 Triple Nickel Ride Re-Do.

You're Tanker. "You Can Do It"

Ok now got my room book for fri 1Sep to mon 4Sep....   Yahoo
Thank you for wrangling this event together, Beetle!  Do we know yet, who will be leading the rides?

Personally, I am not sure that I will be able to make this trip, due to ride-life balance that must be maintained.   Undecided
(07-13-2017, 11:51 AM)FeTT-X Wrote: Thank you for wrangling this event together, @[Beetle]!  Do we know yet, who will be leading the rides?

Personally, I am not sure that I will be able to make this trip, due to ride-life balance that must be maintained.   Undecided

I am planning to lead at least some of the rides, starting with the trip down if needed.  The rest of the rides are open but I could lead where necessary.  We need to review the previously planned routes very soon to determine if any changes are desired.  I know that John has one suggested change.

However, my participation in this event is still uncertain.  Michele continues to try and find someone at work that will take her Friday shift for her.  She is very persistent and I am hoping that she finds someone very soon.

LETS RIDE!!!!!! Cool

Beetle
I am willing to help with routes but I do it the "old fashioned way" (no GPS, no Smart Phone)  Biker
Did everyone use the internet, or do we have a block of rooms under the GLRR's.
Live for today, and experience all life has to offer.Big Shiny Grin
[Image: thumb_28_12_06_13_8_31_24.jpeg]
(07-14-2017, 08:37 PM)Rickie Wrote: Did everyone use the internet, or do we have a block of rooms under the GLRR's.
Hey Rick so far we all use Hotel.com to book our rooms and add $3 to be able cancel all the way up 1sep. Other wise it was $$ 66 a day...